Last week I took my dad to the bog to look at the berries. I brought along an old snap machine and cranberry measure and filled a old cranberry measure (6 quart) with cranberries.
I have been wanting to try a cranberry cardamom cake recipe that was given to me from a Finnish woman that I met this summer at the Lutheran Church in Barnstable.I heavily greased a 12 cup Teflon Bundt pan with unsalted butter.
after greasing the pan I sprinkled the pan with flour and discarded the extra flour. I didn't want my cake to stick to the pan.The recipe didn't specify..so I sliced my cranberries instead of using whole cranberries. I wanted more cranberry to be distributed in the batter. Next time, I would add more cranberry to my batter.
flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and 3 eggs, milk and melted unsalted butter. ( I used farm fresh eggs that my son gave me from his chickens) I didn't use my big mixer, I just beat the batter by hand.
batter mixed, with added cranberries, ready to put in the Bundt pan
ready for the oven,,350 degree's for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
crushed cardamom seeds that I bought in a Finnish store when I was in Florida in March. You can buy cardamom whole or ground in the spice aisle in the supermarket.
my cake is done and out of the oven, let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.
out of the pan and cooling on rack. Looks great, the cake didn't stick to the pan.
cake has cooled and then dusted with confectioner's sugar.
slice of cooled cake. Yum, this cake is delicious, and I will definitely be making this cake again, and soon.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed cardamom seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Powdered Sugar
- Heat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt cake pan or Kugelhopf pan. Mix flour, granulated sugar, cardamom, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl. Add milk, margarine and eggs; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in cranberries. Spoon into pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Decided to make this recipe again, as I read the recipe wrong. I only used a teaspoon of cardamon instead of a tablespoon. I didn't have ground cardamon, I had crushed. I also used more cranberries and added chopped pecans. Today, instead of a bundt pan I used a cupcake tin and a medium loaf pan. They both came out great.
While I had the oven going I decided to make homemade pizza...onion, red and green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, italian spices, italian sausage and pepperoni, and cheese. It was so good and the kitchen smelled so good.