Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Making Maple Syrup snow candy taffy


As I looked out the window this morning and saw the beautiful carpet of freshly fallen snow, I thought back to my childhood. My mother would have my brothers and I go out after a snow storm to fill a turkey roasting pan with fresh snow, and mom would make snow taffy.

After thinking about maple syrup snow taffy...I decided to make a batch. I filled and packed the clean snow into a turkey pan, and then put the pan onto my picnic table on the back deck. I went inside and started making my taffy. 


I gathered my ingredients and thankfully, I had just enough maple syrup in the house to make a batch

 To make one batch....1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter and a pinch of sea salt
Put the ingredients into a 2 quart pan and heat to melt the butter

syrup mixture is starting to boil

candy needs to reach the soft ball stage 235 degree's. Shut off heat under the pan when soft ball stage has been reached. 
I think it took a total of 5 minutes from the time the syrup went onto the stove until it reached the soft ball stage on the candy thermometer
I immediately brought the hot maple syrup mixture outside and poured in ribbons onto the packed, clean snow 




the syrup hardens almost immediately. You can use popsicle sticks to wrap the syrup around or not, but it makes for easier eating if you are playing outside and have mittens on.
I shook off as much snow as I could from the taffy and put the candy on an aluminum pie plate. Once the taffy was in the house...I dabbed off more snow and put the candy in the refrigerator to stay hard.
I forgot how good this easy to make winter candy treat was to make.

If you make more than one batch make sure you use a pan big enough that the syrup won't boil over. 

Elaine









2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

You've brought back some tasty memories.

Barbara said...

Never did this as a child! Looks like fun! Have to admit though, I'm not good at candy. As soon as I see the words "soft ball stage" I look for another recipe. Lol!