Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pineapple Squares



I love Pineapple and when I came across this recipe last week on Facebook, I knew I had to try making themt. The recipe is below.

Filled Pineapple Bars

1 cup sugar, granulated 
2 Tbsp cornstarch 
1 can crushed pineapple and juice 
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup butter

Preheat oven 400° F. Grease 9x13 baking pan.

For filling, combine white sugar and cornstarch and add pineapple. Cook over medium heat until thick; set aside.

                                      


    For the crust, measure flour, brown sugar, soda, salt and oats; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.


                                           

                                       Place half of crust mix into prepared pan; pat down firmly. 

                      
                                              
                                              bottom layer 


                                                           Spread filling evenly on top. 

                                                  


                                                      Add remaining crust and pat down firmly. 

                                                       


                                                          Bake 25 to 30 minutes. 
                                                   

                                                        When cool, cut into 20 bars.

These squares came out great, and didn't take long to put together. I only had a large can of pineapple tidbits, so I put the pineapple and juice into the food processor and gave it a couple of pulses until the pineapple was crushed. The can of pineapple I used was packed in it's own juice. I found the squares a little sweet, so next time I am going to decrease the amount of granulated sugar I use in the filling.

This recipe came from grannys favorites cookbooks website on Facebook. Everyday wonderful recipes are shared.

Elaine



















2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Now I'm hungry. This sounds delicious.

Barbara said...

Mmmmmmmm...I can count on you Elaine to make me want delicious goodies!