Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunday Birdwatching on Plymouth Beach

I decided to take a ride to Plymouth Beach yesterday morning. I had heard a snowy owl had been seen at the beach numerous times over the winter. As I arrived at the beach it started spitting snow. The wind wasn't blowing hard, but it was a very gray day. As I drove into the beach parking lot the first bird I spotted was a male kingfisher who was flying between spots to fish. 

I forgot how rocky Plymouth Beach is. I went to high school in Plymouth and I use to spend a lot of time at this beach in the summers. My friend, Ann and I would ride our bikes from Carver to join friends for a day at the beach. Let me tell you, that was a long bike ride. 

crow with sea weed in it's beak

herring gulls

I don't have 4 wheel drive so I had to take the long walk thru the soft sand and rocky road to see if I could find the snowy owl that has been on long beach heading to the point. The walk to and back was about 4 miles. It felt like 50. That soft sand is a killer to walk in for any distance. I took the photos below while I was walking out to see the owl.

sea grass was growing out of  a hollow post

dried skate egg case


song sparrow that was singing in a scrub pine

Bug light in Plymouth Harbor

I was just about ready to give up and turn back on my owl quest and begin the long walk back when I spotted the owl sitting on the rooftop of one of the houses on the point. I sat down on the sand and snapped some photos.

I just love the snowy owls face.

Walk heading back to the car

looking across from the beach you can see the harbor..Capt. John sightseeing boat 

The following pictures I took on my way home from the beach when I stopped along Plymouth's waterfront. In Morton Park on the waterfront if you look across the harbor you can see the area of the beach that I walked.

                                                     down he goes looking for a fish
                                                               under water

Squanto statue on the hill overlooking Plymouth Harbor

portico that covers Plymouth Rock

Plymouth Rock

I spent 4 hours at the beach. I was tired, but had a great day. I was pleased with the photos that I got using my new camera. On the way home our older son called and invited us to dinner. Tom and I met Tommy and his family at the Fireside Grille. It was a nice ending to the day. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.



Barbara said...

I LOVE New England, and am so thankful for your photos. You have outdone yourself, Elaine! Thank you!

Joanne Huffman said...

You are really taking some great photos with your new camera.