Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cranberry Raspberry Jam

cran raspberry jam 1 batch of cranberry raspberry jam
Fresh raspberries were on sale yesterday, and so I bought 2- 6 ounce containers. I have been wanting to try making cran-raspberry jam. In the past I've only made jellied cranberry sauce, cran-orange relish, and whole berry sauce. and of course used cranberries in breads, muffins, desserts. You'd think growing up around cranberries that I would have tried making jam before now.
I looked around the internet, and every recipe I found was different. Some recipes start with frozen sweetened raspberries, but I wanted to use fresh berries.
cran raspberry cranberries and raspberries to make jam
Cranberry-Raspberry Jam
6 cups washed, sorted cranberries with stems removed. In the recipe it said to chop them in a food processor, but I chose to leave them whole.  (Leaving them whole worked out fine, because the berries as they cook break down)
2 cups crushed fresh raspberries
7  1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed and strained lemon juice (the recipe didn't call for lemon juice, but all my other jams did so I added it to this batch)
1 pouch of liquid Certo fruit pectin ( have the package open and ready to use. Stand the package upright in a cup)
crush fresh raspberries, prepare your cranberries. Put both fruits into a 6 quart stainless steel pan, add lemon juice. Stir in  sugar a little at a time, using a low heat, keep mixing it into the fruits. As liquid is released from the berries, raise the heat and keep stirring. Bring jam to a full rolling boil. Stir in the package of pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute.
Remove pan from heat, skim off the foam, ladle the hot jam into hot, sterilized jars. having a large mouth canning funnel makes this a lot easier. Leave 1/4 head space at the top of each jar with a small piece of wet cheesecloth or paper towel. Take a plastic knife and move thru the jar to remove air bubbles. Tap filled jar on counter. Wipe the jar tops and around the threads on the top of each jar. Put on sterilized lids and covers. The covers should be hand tightened, not loose. Place jars in a hot water bath, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from the boiling water, wait for the lids to ping as the vacuum forms and let cool.
From the 1 batch I got...4- 8 ounce and 11- 4 ounce jars
Elaine
p.s....I went back to the grocery store after I made my jam to buy more raspberries while they are on sale. I plan on making another batch of cranberry-raspberry jam on Saturday. While at the store I noticed strawberries were on sale 2 quarts for $5.00. I bought 3 quarts, and just finished making a batch of strawberry jam. This batch made 7- pint jars, and 5- 4 ounce jars.
strawberry jam 10.11.12