Monday, January 14, 2013

Blackberry Jam

Blackberry jam 1.14.13 open cont blackberries
Yesterday while I was out grocery shopping I saw really nice looking containers of blackberries and they were on sale for $2.99. I have been wanting to try making blackberry jam. I decided I would buy the berries and make some blackberry jam. I didn't know how many berries it would take to get 5 cups of puree/mashed berries, and so I bought a flat of 8- 12 ounce containers.
I did a google search for a Blackberry Jam recipe as I had never made Blackberry jam before. There are lots of recipes on the internet.
Click here for the recipe I used for my Blackberry Jam recipe
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  4 cont blackberries4- 12 ounce containers make a batch
This morning I decided I would make the jam. I washed and drained 4 of the containers of berries and let them dry. I then put the berries into an 6 quart heavy Dutch oven and mashed them with my potato masher. I don't care for big seeds in my jam so I took out my old Foley food mill and ground up the berries.         sterilized jars, covers and lids
 Blackberry jam 1.14.13 Foley food mill
Blackberry jam 1.14.13 stained hands1live and learn....stained fingers and hand..should have used disposable gloves when scrapping puree from food mill and removing seeds
Blackberry jam 1.14.13 strained pulp 5 cups of blackberry puree after putting fruit thru food mill.
Blackberry jam 1.14.13 puree in pan 5 cups  blackberry puree and juice of 1 strained fresh lemon in a 6 quart heavy pan
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  sure jell pectin box1 package of Sure Jell pectin
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  pectin andsugaradding mix of 1/4 cup sugar and box of Sure Jell pectin
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  rolling boilbrought to a rolling boil
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  adding sugar to pureeadding the rest of the sugar (6  3/4 cups) to the puree
continued boiling puree for 1 minute after puree comes back up to a full rolling boil. Test jam to see if it is jelled by dripping some onto a chilled dish. It should drip very slowly off of a spoon and not run on the cold plate.
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  jam foamremove pan of jam from heat and skim foam from cooked jam
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  sterilized jarssterilized jars, covers and lids
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  jam in jarsfilling sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Place filled and sealed jars in a boiling hot water water bath for 10 minutes.
Blackberry jam 1.14.13  4 finished jam 13 and 3finished batch...13- 4 ounce jars and 3....8- ounce jars
I will have some of my jam on my toast in the morning.
 I have enough berries to make another batch tomorrow.
Elaine

3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Now I have to get off the computer and get some toast and jelly...

Barbara said...

Elaine, you always make me hungry! Those stained fingers are badges of honor, wear them proudly. :)

quiltmom anna said...

Blackberries are yummy- not easily found it Edmonton at this time of year and often quite expensive.
You will have some delicious jam for the months to come.
Looks delicious!
Regards,
Anna