Thursday, April 11, 2013

This and That

I don't have any new artwork to share with all of you, but I wanted to share a few photos that I've taken in the last couple of days. Some of bargains I've found and some from a ride around the cranberry bog with my dad yesterday.

First...a few days ago I went to T J Maxx in Plymouth, and as I was browsing I found some wonderful rolls of gift wrap (30 square feet in a roll) for $2.99. The paper is quite heavy.

rolls of paper..price labels

I love both rolls of gift wrap that I bought but my favorite is the birch bark gift wrap. I love birch trees and this paper is so real looking. I plan on using some of the paper on a  journal cover. The paper is so real looking but not so much in this photos. The birch bark paper is also a little heavier than the clock paper I bought.

rolls of paper..birch bark 

rolls of paper..clocks clocks

If you have a TJ Maxx nearby look to see what they have for gift wrap.

I had to go and cover some cardboard for book covers using the birch paper.

birch bark paper covers I feel a nature themed journal is in the making

I took my Dad for blood work yesterday morning, then ran some of his errands and before we did his grocery shopping he wanted to take a ride around the cranberry bogs.

I had to stop because this good sized snapping turtle was crossing in front of us. His shell was probably 12 inches across. They are nasty so I didn't get too close to take the picture.

snapping turtle Plympton 4.10.13

By the river I spotted a large pussy willow tree that I had never noticed before in all the years that I have been down the bog. I guess it just never was in bloom when I've seen it.

pussy willow tree near river Plympton pussy willow tree near river Plympton2

pussy willow catkins near river Plympton sorry, this photo is a little blurry, but as you can see some of the pussy willows have already started to go by and soon the tree will be leafed out.

I almost forgot...I love white quartz rocks and when ever I see a decent sized one I pick it up for my rock garden. While I was out of the car taking a photo of the snapping turtle, I spied a white quartz rock near my back tire. I used the tip of my sneaker to try and dislodge it from the dirt roadway. At first I was disappointed when I saw that the rock had split and one half was in shards. When I turned the rock over I was surprised to see a hollow inside.

white quartz rock inside inside of rock

white quartz rock outside top part of the quartz rock

The bogs are still dormant and look like a carpet of dark red. Soon the cranberry leaves will turn green.

Have a creative day.

Elaine

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

The wrapping looks very intriguing. My favorite pictures are of the pussy willow; I haven't seen pussy willow for years.