Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Working on another Beach Themed Journal

What can I say. I love the beach and I find that many handmade books/journals that I create have a beach theme. 
Art book April sea themed back cover paper 3. 2013 this is the colorful handmade paper that I bought years ago at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design). The paper has some clear areas because wax was used to make a leaf pattern on the thick paper. I have hoarded this paper for a long time, and today was finally time to break down and use some of it. I guess the creative bug hit me this morning because I also completed Smash book pages.
Creating my covers for the journal. I recycled by using the thick cardboard back of a used up watercolor pad. I cut my cardboard to the size I wanted on my big Boston paper cutter.
Art book April sea themed glueing paper and bookboard 3. 2013
Art book April sea themed glueing paper to cover 3. 2013cut paper and glued cardboard for my cover
Art book April sea themed glueing paper to cover1 3. 2013I glued cardboard to the center of the paper and then I scored paper sides of cover
Art book April sea themed glueing paper to cover sides 3. 2013gluing sides
Art book April sea themed paper glued to one side of cover 3. 2013cover paper is now adhered now glued on.
Art book April sea themed glue d page ready to add to cover 3. 2013Handmade paper is glued to the cover. I cut a piece of cardstock slightly smaller and glued both the paper and the cardboard so the cardstock would adhere really well. I love UHU glue sticks. I've never had a problem in my handmade books with the papers coming loose using UHU glue.
Art book April sea themed inside front and back covers 3.2013still bumpy looking from the UHU glue stick, but I used a brayer to smooth the paper and when the glue dried the paper was smooth.
Art book April sea themed front back handmade paper covers 3. 2013finished front and back covers. I didn't want the waxy leaves on the paper to show because my journal is beach themed so I covered those areas with cut out images.
Art book April sea themed front cover 2013front cover for now
Art book April sea themed back coverback cover
Art book April sea themed front cover and signatures3.2013front cover, signatures and back cover
Art book April sea themed inside front cover and watercolored first signature 3. 2013inside front cover, and water color paper on the cover of the first signature in my journal that I painted and then added stickers
Art book April sea themed signature2 back3.  2013water colored painting I did on back of the books first signature. On the right..I want to replace the cardstock signature and use another water color paper so I can have a water color painting on both pages.
(Added 4.6.2013  I went to Michael's and used a coupon to buy another pad of water color paper. The photo below is now the finished water colored double page spread.  I will probably add something to the right side of the page... and I did..a mermaid)
Sea journal watercolor double page 4.2013
Sea journal watercolor double page w mermaid 4.2013
Art book April sea themed signature4.  2013   I created 4 signatures
 Art book April sea themed shell signature page 3. 2013  Art book April sea themed signature3.  2013
covers of other signatures
I haven't sewn the book together yet. I am also thinking about using either a piece of navy blue or black leather for the books covers, but first, I have to find where I stashed those leather pieces. Oh brother, where to look first.

So far this is a bare bones journal without anything  added to the pages at the moment. I have a folder with items and papers that I've collected and want to add to  this journal. I have replaced some of the card stock pages with more water color paper pages.
My fingers are covered in glue and Gesso. I keep washing my hands, but I haven't managed to get all of the glue and paint off yet, but what fun I had today sitting down creating. :-)
Elaine

1 comment:

Barbara said...

...And what fun we all can have watching you create this beautiful piece! Thank you for the photos and details of the process. It is so pretty...I also love the beach. It's peaceful working on something that focuses on the beach and ocean.