Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall is time for Apple Crisp and Candy Coated apples

Yeah, I know, I've been posting a lot of recipes lately and not a lot of art. But, this is the time of year that I like to bake. I don't turn my oven on in the summer at all. Also, many go apple picking this time of year or just to the local supermarket and buy paper tote bags of fresh apples from this years crop. Nothing like a fresh, crunchy, red, ripe apple for a snack.

When I was in 7th grade, many, many, many years ago in my first home economics class we made things like brownies, custard, and my all time favorite dessert, Apple Crisp. I have used the recipe below since then. It is my families favorite. If you decide to make it; I hope that you and your family will enjoy it too.

I use Macintosh or McCoun apples for all my cooking as I like ending up with soft apples after my dessert is baked. I don't like hard apples in my pies or crisp, but use the kind of apple that you like best.

Apple Crisp
5-6 cups peeled/sliced apples
 3/4 C. quick oatmeal (not instant)
 3/4 C. br. sugar
 1/2 C. flour
 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
 1/2 C. butter/margarine
 Dash of salt
 Grease 2 qt. baking dish or pan and put in your sliced apples. Combine all the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, and mix well. Now dump the dry ingredients over your apples. I mix this in a little.
Bake 35-40 minutes in 350 degree oven until apples are soft. Serve hot or cold. You can top your crisp with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Enjoy!

Recipe for Hard Red Candy Apple Coating:
Wash and dry 12 red apples (I like using McCoun's as they don't turn brown inside and they stay crisp)
 12 skewers or popsicle sticks
 3 cups sugar
 3/4 cup corn syrup
 1 cup water
 few drops red food coloring to desired color
 Stir until sugar is mixed well
Cook mixture to 290-300 degrees on candy thermometer
Set pan over boiling water while dipping apples
 Place apples on greased baking sheet to harden.
And, then get ready to enjoy your yummy candy coated apple.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

OMG - I love apple crisp! I love fall and in Michigan, this was the time of year we go to the apple orchards, then the cidar mills drink large glasses of apple cidar, fresh donuts! Your recipe reminded me of those wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.