Monday, September 9, 2013

Rhubarb Pie for Dad

rhubarb pie baked Baked pie..When I was turning the pie in the oven, I accidently knocked the crust off of one side of the pie. Oh no, but it didn't affect the pie in any way.

I never liked rhubarb, but my Dad loves the stuff.  I probably should have made Dad a rhubarb pie in the spring when the rhubarb was in season. Lately red rhubarb has been selling anywhere between $2.99 and $4.99 a pound. I didn't know how many stalks of rhubarb I would need to make 4 heaping cups of cut up fruit to fill a 9 inch pie plate. I bought 2 and half pounds and it was just enough.

rhubarb pie in bottom shell unbaked bottom pie crust filled with cut and peeled red rhubarb, combined with sugar, flour and dotted with butter.

Recipe..Rhubarb pie

double pie crust

4 heaping cups of chopped rhubarb. Cut off the ends of the stalks. I peeled the rhubarb because the skin was so stringy and tough.   I added more rhubarb than the recipe called for..about 6 cups.      ( my finished rhubarb pie was a light pink and not dark red in the baked pie because I choose to peel the skin off)

1  1/3 cups granulated sugar

6 tablespoons flour, or you can use tapioca

1 tablespoon butter

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees

Combine sugar and flour and mix in cut rhubarb pieces

Place the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate ( I used glass)

Dot with butter,  Brush edge of bottom crust with milk or cream, cover with top crust, seal/crimp edges of the pie crust. Brush top crust with milk/cream and make slits for pie to vent. Place pie plate on the bottom rack and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Continue baking another 40-45 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Let cool.  This pie's juices tend to bubble over so I put my pie plate on a pizza pan while it is baking.

rhubarb pie ready for oven crust has been crimped, brushed with milk/cream so the crusts browns nicely, then vented with slits and a cut out hole to allow steam to escape.

Dad gave my pie a thumbs up. He loved it.

Elaine

No comments: