Monday, September 30, 2013

Recipe: Cranberry Cardamom Cake..updated 10.1.13

cran cardamon cake w slices cut out  

         Last week I took my dad to the bog to look at the berries. I brought along an old snap machine and cranberry measure and filled a old cranberry measure (6 quart) with cranberries.

cranberry measure and snap machine2. 9.2013

I have been wanting to try a cranberry cardamom cake recipe that was given to me from a Finnish woman that I met this summer at the Lutheran Church in Barnstable.

cran cardamon cake well greased bundt pan1I heavily greased a 12 cup Teflon Bundt pan with unsalted butter.

 cran cardamon cake well greased bundt panafter greasing the pan I sprinkled the pan with flour and discarded the extra flour. I didn't want my cake to stick to the pan.

cran cardamon cake sliced cranberriesThe recipe didn't specify..so I sliced my cranberries instead of using whole cranberries. I wanted more cranberry to be distributed in the batter. Next time, I would add more cranberry to my batter.
cran cardamon cake batter w eggs in bowlflour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and 3 eggs, milk and melted unsalted butter. ( I used farm fresh eggs that my son gave me from his chickens) I didn't use my big mixer, I just beat the batter by hand.
cran cardamon cake batter in bowlbatter mixed, with added cranberries, ready to put in the Bundt pan
cran cardamon cake ready to go in ovenready for the oven,,350 degree's for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
cran cardamon bag of crushed cardamoncrushed cardamom seeds that I bought in a Finnish store when I was in Florida in March. You can buy cardamom whole or ground  in the spice aisle in the supermarket.
cran cardamon cake out of ovenmy cake is done and out of the oven, let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.
cran cardamon cake on cooling rackout of the pan and cooling on rack. Looks great, the cake didn't stick to the pan.
cran cardamon cake on plattercake has cooled and then dusted with confectioner's sugar.  
cran cardamon cake slice of cakeslice of cooled cake. Yum, this cake is delicious, and I will definitely be making this cake again, and soon.

Ingredients

  • 3  cups all-purpose flour
  • 2  cups granulated sugar
  • 1  tablespoon crushed cardamom seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1  cup milk
  • 3/4  cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, melted
  • 3  eggs
  • 1  cup fresh or frozen cranberries
  • Powdered Sugar

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt cake pan or Kugelhopf pan. Mix flour, granulated sugar, cardamom, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl. Add milk, margarine and eggs; beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in cranberries. Spoon into pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Updated....10.1.2013

Decided to make this recipe again, as I read the recipe wrong. I only used a teaspoon of cardamon instead of a tablespoon. I didn't have ground cardamon, I had crushed. I also used more cranberries and added chopped pecans. Today, instead of a bundt pan I used a cupcake tin and a medium loaf pan. They both came out great.


While I had the oven going I decided to make homemade pizza...onion, red and green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, italian spices, italian sausage and pepperoni, and cheese. It was so good and the kitchen smelled so good.



Enjoy!
Elaine

1 comment: