Saturday, July 2, 2011

4th of July Holiday weekend

No big celebration plans this year for us, but we finally got my glads in the ground. We also finished putting  in our vegetable plants and seeds in the garden that needed to get in the ground. Better late than never, as the saying goes.

My flags and flag bunting are up and the grass freshly mowed. The yard looks nice. Now if the flower beds could just weed themselves, wouldn't that be nice?
A wren is building a new nest in a nest box hanging near my back deck.  I cleaned and filled the bird baths, and  refilled my hummingbird feeders this morning..so the birds are taken care of too.                                                                                                                          

This morning it was sunny, hot and humid, but as for the past few hours it has been really cloudy with some sprinkles from time to time. It is still warm though.

I made Italian meatballs and sauce this morning, and when I finished...I took the fixings for a meatball sub sandwich to my dad for his lunch. I then took him to the Farmer's Market to get some fresh veggies and fruit.  We sampled the watermelon as soon as we got back to his house because it looked so good. It was sweet and juicy...just yummy!

On the way home, I stopped to take a few photos..

turtle sunning on an old root in the water surrounded by water lilies.

turtle sunning2 turtle sunning1

Then, my next stop was at the cranberry bog a little further down the road where a helicopter was flying over the bog with fertilizer.  In my photos the helicopter had landed and men were refilling the storage containers on the sides of the copter with fertilizer so the copter could finish spreading the fertilizer from the air. You can't see it in the photos but the blades on the top and back were spinning as the helicopter was refilling. The don't shut off the helicopter between fill up stops.

 helicopters at the bog4 helicopters at the bog3

helicopters at the bog2 helicopters at the bog1 flying over the tree tops before making another pass over the bogs to spread fertilizer.

elaine signature3

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Happy Fourth!

Barbara said...

Happy holiday weekend to you Elaine! You had a very busy day in this post. Have to ask you about glads, we planted them for the first time this year. Didn't know what to expect, but now the beautiful flower stalks are sky high and falling over. Should we have cut them for a bouquet instead of letting them get so tall? I think that's all we can do right now. Let me know...thanks!