Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sewing Project today...Making a Pillow case

pillowcase first one floral and red
The above finished pillow case is folded so I could get a photo of it.  I had a lot of the floral fabric that I bought years ago. I don't even remember what I planned to do with it, but figured I would use it for my first attempt at sewing a pillow case. I also had some red and white fabric on hand, and I used those as the piping and cuff. I made French seams so there are no raw edges showing. My next pillow case attempt should go much easier now that I've completed sewing this one.
The body is 27 x 42/44 inches, piping 2 inches folded, cuff..9 inches folded.
I watched a video using the Jelly Roll method on You Tube and decided to try making a pillow case.
pillow case tutorial
another good pillow case tutorial

I had problems cutting the fabric straight, because my rotary blade had a dull blade. Next trip to Joann Fabrics that will be what I use my coupon on.
I want to make some pillow cases to give as gifts using material that is appropriate for the individual person that will be receiving each one/set.
I always keep a blanket and a pillow in the SUV and this will probably be the pillow case used on that pillow as the material is kind of bright.
Elaine

2 comments:

Meggie said...

Hello Elaine....thanks for the youtube link and the dimensions for the pillow case. I must give it a try.

Joanne Huffman said...

I love the idea of a custom made pillow case.