Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chocolate and Lemon Rolls

 chocolate roll end cut2 
chocolate roll with Tip Top Filling, cake dusted with confectioners sugar.

  I wasn't planning on baking anything to bring to the two Christmas dinners we will be attending, as I had already made strawberry dessert and snow pudding to bring for dessert. But, yesterday my granddaughter asked if I could make a chocolate roll. Well, how could I not make one to bring.

I use the recipe that is in my old Betty Crocker cookbook. For the filling I have no idea where I got the recipe so many years ago. You can use a whipped cream filling, but I prefer the Tip Top filling which is kind of like what is used in store bought Hostess cupcakes.

Chocolate Roll
1 cup cake flour or 3/4 all purpose flour
1/4 unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs (1/2-3/4 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan ( 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch) with parchment paper, wax paper of aluminum foil. Grease the paper. Stir together...flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt..set aside
In a small mixing bowl beat eggs about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemony colored. Pour eggs into a large mixing bowl, gradually add in sugar.  On low speed of  mixer, blend in water and vanilla. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beating just until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into the jelly roll pan, spreading batter to the corners. Bake 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Loosen cake from the edges of the pan.  Invert the hot cake onto a cotton/lint free kitchen towel that has generously been sprinkled with sifted confectioner's sugar. Carefully remove the paper from the bottom of the cake.  Trim off any stiff edges if necessary.
While the cake is hot, roll the cake and towel from the narrow end. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake, remove towel, spread with either sweetened whipped cream or tip top filling.  Roll up the cake and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Or if you prefer you can frost the cake with a chocolate glaze frosting.
Tip Top Filling
2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup of milk.. Cook in a small saucepan until it thickens like a pudding. Cool completely.
When cool-add the above mix to a bowl with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, dash of salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat well.
Then add 1/2 cup solid white shortening
1/2 cup margarine=1 stick
Beat ingredients with mixer until mixture is fluffy.
chocolate roll with filling before its rolledunrolled, cooled, baked cake with tip top filling spread on it.
chocolate roll end cut1 all rolled up and ready to be eaten

That's it now for holiday cooking for me.
Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!
 
P.S..I was really good about not eating any sweets Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to the dinners and parties we went to. I had no sweets in the house and on the 28th, I craved something good.
 
I made a Lemon Roll.
lemon roll log
I used the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook which is basically the recipe above without the cocoa powder. The cake is a yellow sponge cake. For the lemon filling I used
lemon roll Durkee pie filling mix boxthe box has a recipe for pudding and for lemon meringue pie..I followed the directions for the pie filling
 
lemon roll log end    ready to go into the refrigerator to set up.

elaine signature3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks very yummy! Have a great Christmas!

Joanne Huffman said...

Of course your granddaughter would want such a tasty treat!