Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Last minute ... Christmas Sugar Cookies

Nothing like waiting until late Christmas Eve day to start making a batch of sugar cookies. I love these soft cookies and always have fun sprinkling on the toppings. I would make the cookies for the different holidays for my boys when they were young.
I have used the recipe below since I was married in 1968. I found the recipe in my new, at the time Betty Crocker cookbook, which by the way is still the cookbook I go to first when looking for a recipe. Many pages are well worn and stained from use.
Sugar cookie recipe from Betty Crocker cookbookclick on photo to enlarge so you can read the recipe with ease.
sugar cookie ingredients Ingredients
The dough for this recipe is heavy, and being in a hurry I decided to use my old electric Hamilton Beach hand mixer that my mother in law gave me before I got married. I should have used my Kitchenaid stand mixer, because the poor little mixers motor was struggling to mix the dough.
sugar cookie dough ball of dough..1 batch
Sugar cookies 1 batch divided into 2 balls wrapped 1 batch dough divided into 2 balls, wrapped in saran wrap and then placed in the refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours before the dough can be rolled out.
sugar cookie old cookie cutters  a few of my favorite old aluminum cookie cutters from the 40's and 50's. I have picked up most of them in yard sales.
I had all good intentions of baking the cookies last night, but as I was waiting for the dough to chill, I started watching the mini series from the 70's, Roots. I got engrossed in the movie, and the cookies didn't get made until early this morning.
I had to wait for the dough to come to room temperature so I could roll it out. In the mean time my husband and I exchanged and opened Christmas gifts.
sugar cookie rolled out dough w gingbread cutterthe dough rolled out (using my husband's grandmother's old rolling pin) then cut and ready to put on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to bake.
sugar cookie gingerbread men on sheet
 sugar cookie rolled out dough w rolling pin cutters trees, Santa, star, circles, bells, chick (my son has chickens and Bella loves her girls)
sugar cookie rolled out dough w rolling pin cutters2  sugar cookies baked bells circles stars just out of the oven
sugar cookie frosted 1 frosted, but not fancy, as I didn't have time.
sugar cookie frosted 2 sugar cookie frosted 3 sugar cookie frosted 4 sugar cookie frosted 5    I got 35 cookies. Normally I get more, but those gingerbread men were large. 
We woke to a little snow on the ground for Christmas. Pretty, but glad we only got the dusting.
Merriest of Christmas greetings to all.
Elaine

1 comment: