Monday, October 4, 2010

A Favorite Recipe to share..Grape Nut Custard

Fall is here and I love to bake and an added bonus while the oven is on it also warms the house. I hate putting the heat on until a little later in the month.
My girlfriends birthday was yesterday, and she loves custard, but as a widow she doesn't often bake for herself.
So, when I made the custard recipe below this morning  I divided the mixture into two dishes.One for my friend, Shirley and the other to bring to my parents. Then when I got back home I baked another dish of grape nut custard for Tom and I. My dad dished himself out some right away. I thought he would have it for dessert tonight, but I guess he couldn't wait. :-)

I have used this recipe for the past 42 years. It is so simple to make. I found the recipe on a box of Grape nut cereal when I first got married.  I have made this custard so many times in the past few weeks to bring to family members. I thought I would share it with all of you. It is really simple to make.

GrapeNut Custard:
 Preheated 350 degree oven.
 Place a large metal baking dish  into the oven while the oven is preheating. Add 1 - 1 1/2 inches of hot water into the large metal  baking dish. The custard baking dish  will be baked in the larger pan in a water bath.

Recipe:
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar or baking sugar substitute
dash of salt
2 3/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
dash of nutmeg
3/4 cups of grapenut nugget cereal
1/4 stick margarine or butter melted
 add the grapenut nuggets (do not use the flake grape nut cereal) to the melted butter and mix well.

In a bowl beat the eggs well, add the rest of ingredients to the beaten eggs mixing well. Then add the butter/grapenuts to the egg mixture and stir. I just use a wire whisk. I also like mixing everything in a large bowl or quart measuring cup with a pour spout to mix my custard in, as it is so much easier to pour the liquid custard into the baking dish. Pour mixture into a 1-2 quart glass oven proof baking dish.

While  your oven is preheating  place your large pan in the oven and add hot water. Then place your baking dish into the water. Pour the custard mixture into the glass baking dish. Bake custard for 30 minutes and then stir your custard mixture. Cook another 10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean. Remove the dish of custard from the oven and out of the water bath. The custard can be eaten hot or cold. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alicia B said...

Hmm Elaine, I have never made Custard but this sounds really good so I may have to try it! *Hugs* Alicia